My name is Rebecca Carpenter, and I’m a sweet-a-holic. And I’m not picky. I’ll eat anything laced with sugar. My husband says I have a serious sweet-tooth problem, but he’s wrong. It’s not a problem—it’s wonderful. My favorite go-to treat is a Zinger. But my all-time precious (kill me now ‘cause this is so amazing Heaven couldn’t be better) treat is a Bavarian cream-filled long john with maple frosting sprinkled with nuts. Are you salivating, ‘cause I sure the heck am.
• I’m not a guy, although I look like my Dad, and he’s a handsome dude.
• I’m not a teenager, but I write MG and YA. This way I can stay “Forever Young” and write stories that inspire, entertain, and linger in the minds of kids and teens.
• I’m not a couch potato. But as soon as the music for The Walking Dead echoes through the house, my butt takes root and latches onto leather.
• I’m not a slacker. I work 60+ hours a week running my business and still make time to write every day. I might be a smidgen crazy, though.
• I’m not a procrastinator. I like to get things done ASAP but with the utmost quality. Except when it comes to folding laundry. I’ll leave that crap in the dryer as long as possible to avoid putting it away.
• I’m not alone. Besides my husband, two children, four grandchildren, parents, eight siblings, and too many nieces and nephews to count, I belong to two incredible critique groups that encourage, support, and help me to be a better writer. I could have a bestseller just off my extended family. And I have the cutest darn grandkids in the world. True story.
• I haven’t been traditionally published. In 2012 I self-published a memoir about my teen pregnancy, and since then have written several screenplays, picture books, a middle grade, and started another YA. Some are out for query while others are in the endless state of revision.
So if you’re looking for a contemporary MG with a sassy heroine who speaks her mind and an author who’ll work off the entire daily consumption of sugar carbs from her butt, I’m your girl.
Oh, and I’m a Star Wars freak. May the force be with us.